Tuesday, August 16, 2011

OMG OMG OMG.....Are you serious?! A job!?

Day 51-

Ok so Monday....where do I begin!  I have been in a "woe is me" state of mind about a job since we got here.  Yes I had a job through Kelly Educational Staffing for over 160 schools in Duval county.  But I am craving stability right now and a good paycheck so that I can DO things in this beautiful state and area with my children other than sit poolside, ( not like that is sooo bad.)  I have applied to every teaching position in St. John's county, only to received rejection emails stating that they are going to concentrate on applicants in the schools that were laid off, but thank you.  I have applied through Clay county but there is a hiring freeze and Duval county is hiring nobody as well.  I decided to think outside the box and look at private schools, daycares, state funded facilities and even government jobs.  I am still supposed to take that immigrations officer test on Aug 24th....not sure now.  So here is how the morning went...
I woke up to my normal routine, coffee, cleaning, computer, workout plan, chocolate milk for kids, laundry etc.  Linda came over and we did a horrific workout and I am so sore sitting here typing!  4 rounds for time 30 45# good mornings, 30 situps and 30 30 # kettlebell swings.  YIKES....but the scale is starting to love me and so do my clothes.  After I was cleaned and had skyped my parents so the girls could chat with them, I turned the TV off told the girls to play in their room.  I called Ms. Val from Lapetite academy to check on status of when I would interview for the infant room care position I had applied for.  She told me to come interview Thursday but she only had part time.  I was feeling very discouraged and typed "VPK centers in Westside Jacksonville".  Google came back with a list...a pdf list actually with numbers, addresses and what the facilities offered, thank you GOOGLE!  After five centers shot me down I called one called Childtime.  I was excited because it is located on Argyle Boulevard and is down the street from Bay's school La Petite.  This community is upper middle class, absolutely stunning and just so promising.  I called and was greeted by Ms. Jennifer the center director.
"Good morning my name is Christen Suratt, I was calling to see if you have any Lead VPK teacher positions open."
"Yes I do actualy, what are your credentials..."
"Well besides having three children under 5, I have a teaching cert from RI in Early Childhood Special Education.  I am certified birth to grade 3."
"UGH no, RI?  You have nothing in FL?  No CDA?"
"CDA?  What is that?  Can I transfer my RI cert to it?"
"NO its a 120 hour course.  Because I have a special needs student in the room I need a real certified or 120 hour state certified teacher in that room....LIKE NOW....more like YESTERDAY!"
"Wow...so my RI license does nothing?  Not even my bachelors degree?
"... YOUR WHAT?  Bachelors in what?!"
"Early Childhood Speci...."  yes I was cut off LOL
"Wait a minute, you mean you have a bachelors and teaching license from RI....in Early Childhood?"
"yes ma'am..."
"Oh my god....oh my god ok, you don't need the 120 hours then!  You have more than you need, I need your email, I have got to get this assessment done..."
"Is it an online assessment?  I think I just did one when I applied to La petite Academy..."
"YES its the same one?  Did you not pass? Why didn't you get hired there?!"
"They only had 20 hours a week available and yes, Ms. Val said I passed."
"Ok you need to call her and have her fax that over to me ASAP!  I need you in here today for an interview, I want you trained and ready for school next week!"
"Ummm ok!  I will call back after I call her!"

Ok so the call ends and I call ms. Val who was laughing hysterically and more than willing to oblige, she said she would call Jennifer immediately, I later found out the schools are sister schools.  Before I could even really do a happy dance and call my mother and my mother in law to tell them what had happened I received a phone call.

"Christen?"
"That is me, yes?"
"Ok its Jennifer at Childtime, girl you didn't just pass that assessment, Jesus you blew it outta the water, like flying colors lady! Get in here by 1215!  And don't bring a damn thing, Ms. Val is bringing me your resume.   I want you in here!"
Commence jaw falling on the floor, did she really just say damn?  yep.

"Ok I will be there!"

So all the phone calls started, I had to call everyone I could to tell them oh my god I may be a teacher!  In a private Montessori school!

Linda showed up to watch the kids at 12 ( thank you LINDA!!!!)  And I head off to the school.  GORGEOUS, beautiful grounds, beautiful building, clean, bright smelled wonderful!  And Jennifer came rushing to open the door for me, so excited and shook my hand.  She introduced me to a few people and had me sit in her office.  IT WAS A MESS!  She apologized profusely stating the state was coming and she was trying to make sure all paperwork was prepared etc.  She then told me this building is accredited and is the best in Jacksonville.  Her language spoke volumes, " in your room you will do this", "I ordered new furniture for your room".  "Your students will be this group.." etc.  The entire interview was based on what her expectations of me were.  She asked some stereotypical ones,
Strengths- I said, " well one of my strengths is being able to modify and accommodate any curriculum or piece of work to suit the needs of an individual learner".  She laughed, "that's the best answer I think I have ever gotten!"  Weakness, " I work and talk too fast, but I have learned to channel it so I can make sure to teach to every child."   Her response...."Ok wow lady."  She kept checking boxes on a mysterious form saying, "you already told me that, yup I can tell by listening to you, uh huh, yup..."  She told me at the end that I am super outgoing, seem passionate about teaching, and the job was mine if I wanted it.   Ummm YEAH!    She then told me the procedure.... fax my paperwork to HR at the corporate level so she could get final approval ( I am still nervously waiting), hear back from them, get fingerprinted, wait for results, get trained T-Thurs and she wants me in MY classroom by next Friday.  She told me, "don't worry, I have a sub in your room until you can get in their with your students...."   Ummm ok wow!
  "Anything you need for your room just tell me and I will order it."  Holy cow!
"I want all lesson plans in my office by Thursday for the upcoming week, is that feasible?"  Umm YEAH, you didn't have Rowell for a teacher, it's feasible.
Just her speech and the way she spoke told me I have a job....now to wait on all the formalities is killing me!  As I was leaving, Ms. Val showed up with my resume and information!  She said she was so happy that my degree was getting used and that she would have been sad to see me stuck in an infant room only 20 hours a week....such a kind lady.  As I was leaving Jennifer said, " oh wait this is Christen the new Lead VPK teacher I just hired..." and gestured to another woman who I think will be the co-teacher or my assistant in the room.  I was seeing stars so I really didn't look at her tag.  I said hello shook hands...and headed home.  I cried the entire way down Argyle BLVD because I just want so bad for everything to pull through the way it seems to be.  I want no more hiccups!

Ok so there is the story....and not a single pic to go with it....oh wait...maybe one.
I celebrated with a night swim :) 
So we shall see what the week brings....there is so much coming into fruition for us down here.  You have NO idea!!

1 comment:

  1. Lovey I am so happy for you!! This Florida move has things falling into place little by little. Positive thinking breeds positive results! Keep looking toward the horizon and watching the gorgeous sunrise over your life. <3

    ReplyDelete