Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back to Life- and cooking!

Day 44- Monday

Monday Monday...so today Josh started the academy up in Kings Bay GA and my friend Linda started her new job as well so I had Krys 10-8.  I can't wait for ME to start a job...ya know with a paycheck, not just this mom business.  Really kind of spent the day poolside again, it was all the kids talked about in Fort Myers,  going to our "new home pool".  Waited for Josh to show up to tell me all about his day at the academy.  Its very structured and planned out and each week has a theme.  Lots of power points the first day he stated, and tomorrow is the PT test. We had an amazing dinner...a new recipe I kind of created.  Want to hear? 
1 quart of chicken broth and a splash of almond milk or coconut milk(for color) ( if your not paleo use cream)
2 chicken breasts ( thinly sliced up)
2 cups broccoli
1/2 green jalapeno very finely minced
1/2 cup finely ground almond meal for crust ( I added a dash of Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder with salt and pepper to the coffee grinder....yes I use that to further grind up my almonds into a powder almost)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder ( for broth)
1 tsp onion powder ( for broth)
2 tbsp arrow root

Heat the chicken broth almond milk chicken breast and broccoli in a large sauce pan on the stove.  Add
all the spices to it and stir until boiling and smelling delicious.  When chicken is nearly cooked add the arrow root and stir.  After another minute or so, add about 2-3 tbsp of your almond meal to the sauce to further thicken it.  Pour all ingredients into an oven safe dish and sprinkle the remaining almond meal on top.  Bake at 400 for half hour to 45 minutes....then turn on your broiler to brown the almond crust.
I served with my own caulicous cous recipe I made....it really is like fine cous cous...amazing!
Half a head of cauliflower run through a food processor until it looks like cous cous....  Heat a large skillet with coconut oil ( or olive)....add the cauliflower and a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of sun dried tomato vinaigrette ( paleo peeps look for sugar and gluten...I used a gluten sugar free one I got at grocery store)  if you don't have this, almost any salad dressing or seasoning will add flavor to the cous cous!
Yes not the most luxurious recipe, nor am I fantastic at writing them out....and I am sure I "dashed and pinched" other things in...but I can never recall!  I have no picture of this plate....darn it!  Was so good!



Day 45- Today is Tuesday.....Tuesday spaghetti all you hungry children come and eat it up!  Sorry for the Eric Carle reference.  But its perfect in regards to today's activities.  So I have decided the kids watch too much tv.  I leave it on in the morning while I clean, get ready, plan the day, etc.  Plus we are up at 5...what else is there to do?!  I have decided to channel their energy elsewhere and keep their hands busier.  So they watch a few shows on PBS in the morning ( or RIO 50 times!) and then the TV goes off at 7.  At 7 today I had play doh ready for them to go at it on the counter.



Took these pics last year but I love the colors....

Play doh can be so prettttty



Success!  I didn't hear a peep other than small chatter between the two of them, there was the occasional smack of a hand when one tried to take the other's dough, but otherwise silence.  Blissful silence!  I did three loads of laundry scrubbed my floors, planned the day, unloaded and loaded dishwasher, drank coffee, showered, got the workout of the day planned, cleaned their room and my own, fed Jasper, put him down for a nap ( he was up at 4) and swept and scrubbed my porch.  I also managed to apply to four jobs online as well.  I mean seriously!!  From now on they will have projects to do!  This was all within an hour!
Krys and Linda arrived around 10 and we did our workout of the day ( WOD). She brought a barbell which is AWESOME!   
65 #-  Wohoo!  I can add my own weights to it as well which rocks.

 6 rounds 10 65# overhead squats 10 walking lunges 10 situps 10 pushups.  I did 6 to push myself but Linda is still new to this so she did the prescribed 5 and I am so proud!  She kept the pace with me!  She has lost quite a bit in 3 weeks and even lost a pants size!  I have to keep pushing myself because my body is used to crossfit and the way I eat so....I am not losing so drastically, although my shape is much different.  For the better of course.  
After our workout we laid out in our bikinis!  Hey, we are doing something about it so why not.  Tanned our hide, she was flapjack I was pancake.  Timed flips, timed dips!  The sun did not cooperate and we only got about an hour.  We took a dip with Jasper too before heading inside, the kids were all ready for lunch.  Linda went and got them BK ( she spoils them rotten) while I got all the kids bathed and dressed and prepped Jasper for a nap.  Lunch came and went, and so did Linda and Krys.  Just me and the kiddies until dad gets home...what shall we do?  NAP!
OH thank the lord!
 I was more than pleased when Pip fell asleep on the couch at 2.....then about 230 Bay says, " my eyes are getting tired mommy."  By the time I went to the bathroom and came out, she was also asleep on couch.  Jasper had been up for an hour and was fussing for food and a nap so I locked the front door and brought him in to my bedroom.  We laid down and before I knew it I woke at 415 to two sleeping babied, ( Bay had joined us).  What a great nap!  The kids remained asleep until dad got home and then some.  We had to wake them for dinner at 520!  Speaking of dinner, another recipe all my own!  I saw that my friend Cait had gone and had pulled pork....from then on I couldn't get the tang of pulled pork out of my mouth!  Problem...I have no pork in house!  I have chicken...problem solved!
So here is what I created...
3 chicken breasts
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup jalapeno mustard
1/4 cup honey ( agave)
Pinches and dashes as much as you like of salt pepper, cumin, onion, chili and garlic powders
Place in crock on high for 5 hours or low for 8.
Tear chicken with two forks....oh my my my so good.  Then add a paleo bbq sauce or make your own.  Pretty much making sure no added sugar, high fructose corn syrup or molasses in the bbq sauce.  IT CAN BE DONE!  I will post a recipe that my friend Cait shared.  She has an amazing website with amazing food! 

Paleo Barbecue Sauce

1 can tomato paste
1 cup water
3 tbsp cider vinegar
1.5 tsp yacon (can also maple syrup)
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp honey

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool. Serve and enjoy!



Ok so apart from this I made sauteed Kale greens...way to "spicy" for me.  I added too much pepper for one...but also I don't like the flavor of Kale unless in Kale soup!  But still I tried.  Also made the best caulimashed taters I have ever made.  Put half a cauli in microwave on the "fresh veggie" option for 10 minutes.  Place in food processor with 1.4 cup chicken broth, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and 1 tsp garlic powder.  Process until fluffy smooth!

Delicious!

Caits site....
http://paleoperfectly.blogspot.com/  She has amazing recipes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment