Sunday, July 10, 2011

You want how much ?!


Day 12-

The day started early as usual, 4 am with coffee on the porch.  My little guy is an early riser just like his mommy.  I watched the weather and saw that the day wasn't going to be that fabulous.  I started by taking the trash to the compactor and was greeted by the ugliest coolest ducks I have ever seen in my life.  They wanted to befriend me...well, peck at my trash I was carrying anyway.  These look like a turkey bred with a white duck and a vulture!  The ducklings were to die for adorable though.




I wanted to get my Florida license ASAP because I need to be a resident in order to get my Florida teaching certificate.  So as soon as Nana Babs woke , was off to the DMV ( down here called local tax collector offices) and was waiting in a very nice facility for my turn to get my license...55$ and 45 minutes later, I was smiling away on the Sunshine States pretty piece of official plastic.  When it came time to discuss switching my tags, I was warned to sit down and breath slowly and deeply.  The girl was very helpful, funny and took her time explaining every last "fee".  When she finally spoke the total I stared, jaw dropped, my breathing and heart rate increasing...."I'm sorry you want how much?"  " Its 413.00$ to switch your plates to Florida plates....I know, I know, trust me, I came from Georgia and had the same problem..."  UMMM!!!  Holy cow.  Florida has no state income tax so they have to get you somewhere.  So we held off on the tags...we have 90 days anyway!  So for now, this newly FL resident, drives a RI car!  Just a little piece of back home sticking around!
Moving on through the day. 

The base Josh is stationed at is huge and has more recreational activities than I can count!  One of these recreations is sight seeing, which brings with it several planes and helicopters on display, in park form and throughout the base randomly.  Today was our first "gray" day here in Florida and we decided to take advantage by bringing the kids to Heritage Park on base which has about 10 or 12 stationary planes you can touch and look at.  The kids had a great time running around the park in the drizzle.  Jasper enjoyed taking a stroll in his stroller.  Each plane has a plaque discussing its use, statistics and commemorating fallen soldiers.  It was a very nice tribute, and a beautifully landscaped area.






Our tour of heritage park ended with the drizzle turning to rain.  Torrential downpours to be more descriptive!  Off to make a dry run for my orientation next week for my subbing position.  Since I do not know the area that well it seemed important to be sure I know where I am going for important events.  Day 12 came to a close with the family being at home, it is so wonderful to have Josh on a normal work schedule.  We enjoyed a hearty caveman dinner of meatloaf since the rain put a damper on the grilling plans.  My mother in law Barbara, Josh and I stayed up on the veranda watching the rain and gabbing until 11 pm, which for me is like an "all nighter!"  I have to say....day 13 came slowly, groggily but with the hope of seeing some sunshine, pool time and my new friend.

Day 13-
Well, here we are almost two weeks in our new home!  I can not believe how quickly time is passing.  today started with two Skype's from very important people!  Auntie Nay Nay from Bristol and Mimi and Papa from the Vineyard. The girls were very anxious to show off and discuss their new homes and the plans.  They both enjoyed their time skypeing as you can see in the pic.




The original plans for today were to go to the movies.  The day started gray and seemed like a good time to check out the theater.  AMC 24 is huge and has an IMAX inside as well.  Our plans were nixed when we saw the lines coming out of the theater.  Apparently everyone in Jacksonville wanted to see a movie too, it was Saturday after-all.   Shia LeBeouf and bumble bee (stars of Transformers)will have to wait to see me another day. We canceled the plans and decided to get the girls happy meals and let them watch a movie at home before going to the pool.  I am so happy Josh is off at 2 daily, this means we are more apt to get to do family type activities together mid week as well.  Perhaps the theater will not be so packed mid week.
Although the day started gray, things were looking up!  The sun was peeking hard through the clouds and by 1 pm we were poolside awaiting our guests again.  I love having Linda and her family over.  They are great people offering fantastic conversation and I believe I can learn a lot from her.  I am a very fast pace, constantly moving, motor running at 8000 rpms all the time, kinda northern girl.  Linda lived that life and has been here for 11 years.  I am hoping she can give me some insight in how to slow it down so I can enjoy every minute of life rather than rush my way through it.  She made a comment on how she didn't realize just how much she had slowed down moving down here until she started to hang around me!  I am not sure that is a compliment?   :)  I adore my conversations with her though, discussing present and future and I feel very much at home having her around.  Her daughters are lovely and so good to my girls, and I am glad we have a pool to entertain them while here so they don't feel "uncool" hanging around the adults.  I mean seriously, when did I become uncool.  UGH!  What's my age again?  Hoping to hit Hannah Park Beach with Linda and family this weekend or next!  For now, hitting they hay is a must.  This girl is EXHAUSTED!


No comments:

Post a Comment