Day 30-
So on day 30 I had an appointment to have a fill on my nails done. Mind you its 6 dollars LESS to do it here than in RI....crazy. The appointment was not until 230 when the hubby gets home from work so the kids and I spent the morning swimming and just cleaning house etc.
As I approached the building for the appointment I noticed a humongous storm approaching behind it! The wind was picking up and whipping people around. Everyone was running into the surrounding stores, so I followed suit and picked up the pace running into LE Nails.
 |
| | | | | | |
|
|
|
So while having my nails done the woman sitting next to me struck up a conversation talking about the storms and how beautiful they are etc. We got to chatting and turns out she was full of some very useful information both on the area, and on jobs! Well her first dig on my teaching in Duval county came in the form of a statement, " better plug 911 in that phone of yours honey!" Apparently my house in the border of Duval and Clay. I was mistaken when I thought Duval was the better county. No fear, I have my application in at Clay County and St. John's county, both excellent school districts. This woman was very affluent and a wonderful conversationalist. We discussed everything from military type things, kids behavior, how much she loves clay county...etc. She commented that her daughter just joined the Air National Guard. SCORE! We were looking for someone with information in the area on just that! I picked her brain a bit since Josh needs to transfer down here and she whipped out her phone and gave me a number of the local Sergeant! How fitting. Then she revealed that her husband is also a government employee, like Josh, and that he does border patrol making loads of money for Immigration. Josh has said several times how he would love to do that. She told me where the job posting was on USAJobs.gov and I called Josh immediately to reveal all my good information. She told me I should also apply for it because if you have a bachelors you qualify to come in as a GS-5 or 6 which is a better salary than a teacher with a masters makes down here. I figure why? I don't qualify, not worth my time. She said, " let THEM tell you no...don't short change yourself or your abilities before you even try for them." She was a lovely woman, and we exchanged numbers with the promise to see each other on August 25th at the testing site! Even though she is working for the IRS, she decided she would like to apply for it too. She had informed me that her husband ( current immigration employee) claims they love to hire people with education backgrounds because they are personable and savvy. They don't always like hiring police or security type figures. They also like to have women in some of these positions. So upon my return home I immediately went to the website, took the initial test. Passed it, and registered for the written test August 25th. I have to pass with a certain score and then they will allow me to apply for an interview. The job entails investigating and interrogating immigrants about there living status and marital situations. Josh would be doing more border patrol out of Mayport ( half hour drive) if he got the position. The only downside is a 6 week training in Texas....but for that kind of money, I am willing to go. Plus I would be getting paid for the training and they put you up in a hotel. Not to shabby? And like she said, why not take a chance, let them tell you no. I am assuming we are looking at almost November before any type of actual work would start. Fingers crossed...we shall see.
My evening ended with a late night swim. Hubby and kids were asleep and there was a girl in the pool I had met the previous day, her husband was with her. She is Navy and her hubby a coffee technician ( fancy name for it huh?) They are really sweet people.... and normal.... when in bathing suits. I say that because yesterday when she came over to the pool to give me her number after we previously swam and chatted, she looked like she stepped out of a goth show! I had no idea her style choice just based on her bikini! She had on black leather knee high boots, a taffeta black skirt, skin tight black revealing tank and a black choker with a bat on it! She is NAVY! It was amusing, but she is super sweet, adores my kids and is talkative. It is just really funny to hear a southern drawl come out of the mouth of a gothic chick! Anyway...tomorrow a new day! I have Krysten all day! YAY!
so...about this one...I am excited about the many opportunities for growth and exploration that your family has found in Florida! Keep the positivity because it breeds results <3
ReplyDeleteYour new goth friend made me giggle so much I may have tinkled a little. Just saying.